[mythtv-users] Updated MiniMyth2 Rpi edition

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 20:45:06 UTC 2017

On 18/11/17 22:24, Piotr Oniszczuk wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> Encouraged by https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13170 I decided to refresh my minimyth2 RPI edition project.
>
> I prepared image based on current ArchLinux ARM, Qt5.9.2 (recompiled so works x11 and EGLFS) and current mythtv master (r328 with all MiniMyth2 patches).
> Applied mythtv patches:
>
> 	• Applied ticket9633 Progressbar on OSD
> 	• Applied ticket10710 for instant playback from playlist editor
> 	• Applied ticket12396 external .srt subtitles go out of sync in some use cases
> 	• Applied ticket12463 Tmp.fix for huge RSS allocations in prev.recorded screen
> 	• Applied ticket12479 Mythtranscode HLS heavy distortion on Australian FTA recordings
> 	• Applied ticket12683 MythUI Implement zoomable GuideGrids
> 	• Applied ticket12809 Use lastPlayPos rather than bookmark
>          • Applied ticket13159 Automatic lookup of metadata should prefer exact title match
>          • Applied ticket13170 Restore realtime priority capability for vsync thread
> 	• Add MythNotification support for custom theme definitions
> 	• Recording category selection in recordings UI
> 	• Recording rating setting in recordings UI
> 	• LVR patches for settings DB cache allowing mythfrontend startup speed-up
>
> Image has eventlircd - so any remote supported by 4.9.60 kernel should work OOB with hot-plug and OSD notifications.
>
> As current master has protocol compatible with mythtv v29 - currently I have packages only for master as they work well also with v29 backend (i believe).
> When there will be protocol divergence - I will provide also packages for v29.
>
> It has also simple mechanism allowing for user to ask for updates from UI.
> (Setup/System Maintenance/System Updates)
>
> if there will be users using my work - I have plan to periodically provide updated mythtv packages.
>
> SD card image is here:
> (replace xx in URL!)
> hxxp://warped.inet2.org/MiniMyth2-rpi2-latest.tar.bz2
>
> SD card install instructions are here:
> hxxp://warped.inet2.org/install.txt
>
> If anybody is interested in using my work - pls let me know!
>
> In case of any problems:
> (a) Log via ssh as root/root
> (b) type "cat /home/mythtv/mythfrontend.log"
> (c) type „journalctl -b"
>
> Happy Watching!
>
> PS: MiniMyth2-rpi2-latest.tar.bz2 resides on my home server (with 250/25 Inet access) - so expect slow downloads.
> If anybody knows free hosting space for HTTP 650M file downloads - pls advice!

Piotr,

I have run a few tests on Minimyth2, once over the initial startup
problems with upnp, more of that later, it works well.

I have two mythbackends on different subnets, one built from source, the
other from ppa:mythbuntu/30 (i.e. current master), running under Xubuntu
16.04 LTS (HWE).

SD card image generated using bsdtar running as root ( sudo su) on
Xubuntu 16.04 LTS (HWE) - note that bsdtar  and f2fs-tools packages have
to be installed.

  I made to changes to /boot/config.txt  for my TV UK 50Hz 1080p, with
no overscan, plus MPG2 licence code, before inserting SD card into RPI2 .

hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=31
disable_overscan=1

On booting Country/Language screen was presented, defaulted to US,
changed to UK, then the problems started on Mythtv Servers screen with
could get no response to any key presses.
Went in via SSH and rebooted, same issue.
Turned off upnp on the router for the subnet, rebooted and then the
single mythbackend was found, so I clicked Save - nothing happened, so
rebooted again.
This time I used manual to set IP address and password (note password is
NOT 'mythtv', it is the random 8 character alpha-numeric generated when
mythtv-backend was installed, this time mythfrontend ran (config.xml
file was created in /home/mythtv/.mythtv/).

Using Setup Wizard, set Audio to OpenMax:hdmi, no sound from speakers,
then set video profile to OpenMAX normal, ran the SD test video, which
worked, I could get sound by using Volume UP key.
I then set Audio Mixer device to OpenMax and sound was then ok on
speaker test.
 From then on things worked as expected.

There is definitely a problem with upnp detection on first run. I ran
mythtv-light frontend on Raspbian Stretch and the mythbackend was
automatically found.

I also checked mythfrontend log in /home/mythtv and it entries :
2017-11-23 11:49:44.028244 I  Assumed character encoding:
2017-11-23 11:49:44.028292 W  This application expects to be running a
locale that specifies a UTF-8 codeset, and many features may behave
improperly with your current language settings. Please set the LC_ALL or
LC_CTYPE, and LANG variable(s) in the environment in which this program
is executed to include a UTF-8 codeset (such as 'en_US.UTF-8').

I setup locale to en_GB.UTF-8, which removed the entries.

Also set timezone to Europe/London (it was UTC, +0000) and keyboard map
to uk.

I don't know if setting locale and  timezone are really necessary for
just a frontend.

And finally consider adding two packages to the MiniMyth2 image dialog
and wpa_supplicant this will allow USB WIFI devices to be used without
having to install over ethernet first, wifi-menu is already present. I
do use WIFI.

Mike