[mythtv-users] cutting the cord issues?

Rob bertaboy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 02:58:06 UTC 2017

On Nov 19, 2017 5:52 AM, "Jim Abernathy" <jfabernathy at outlook.com> wrote:

I just told DirecTV that I'm not paying their ridiculously high price
anymore and I'm busy working on alternatives for TV watching.  Obviously
I have Mythtv for all my OTA recording and watching live.  I also plan
on adding a Roku or 2 for streaming services.

All this will put a lot of network traffic on my LAN.  I upgraded my
Internet connection to 100Mbs, but I can only get that speed at the
modem with a directly connected PC. Through the router connections get
only about 50Mbs. So that means I need a better wireless router that
also handles LAN traffic well.

There are a ton of AP routers on the market at all price points with
similar specs. I just wondering if any of you guys have evaluated any
and found that they work well on a heavily used network??

I'm switching from a gigabit Open-WRT router to a Ubiquiti combination
because my wifi has been flaking out lately.  I chose an Edgerouter Lite as
my router because I wanted to prepare for bidirectional  gigabit, but an
Edgerouter-X can do gigabit in a single direction for about $50. My access
point is the UAP-Lite because my house isn't *that* big and most of my
devices are wired and aren't competing for spectrum.  The edgerouter is
hooked up to a switch  that handles all of the local traffic.  All all, the
two Ubiquiti devices cost about $180 when I caught them on sale and I don't
plan on having to upgrade the router for many, many years.