[mythtv-users] best use of limited RAM

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Nov 22 23:08:05 UTC 2017

Marius Schrecker <marius.schrecker at lyse.net> wrote:

> I do have a couple of new, cheap, Chinese 64GB M.2 NGFF's (foresee) that I took out of small devices, that I could use over sata-M.2 adapters to replace the 120GB if it appears to be nearing end of life although probably wouldn't gain much by that either.

If 64G is enough (and it should be by a long margin for the OS & DB) then what I'd do is mirror (RAID1) the two 64G drives for the OS, DB, etc. SSDs have a tendency to "just fail" with zero warning, and while you may have backups, it's "quite an inconvenience" to have to find another drive and restore the system. Yes, spinning disks can do that as well, but they most often give warning signs first.

BTW - my backend only has 2G RAM, and my frontend also only has 2G but it uses only a fraction (1/4 IIRC) of that.