[mythtv-users] video and container woes

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Wed Nov 22 09:40:50 UTC 2017

G’day all

any opinions, guides or help appreciated lots.

My Samsung TV chokes on myth’s upnp offerings. (It did not used to (cica 0.26) and it will play the file from local media).

For many recordings my mythtranscode script works:
#!/bin/bash
if [ $# != 2 ]; then
  echo usage $0 infile outfile
  echo usually infile would be something like /store/1801_20150816123600.ts
  echo usually outfile would be something like /store/Movies/SomethingAboutMary.mpg
  exit
fi
mythtranscode -i $1 -o $2 --honorcutlist --showprogress -m
mythutil —scanvideos

For this recording it changes the 16:9 to 4:3.
So I tried to be creative

ffmpeg -i /store/1017_20171001114200.ts /store/Movies/DM8x01.avi

Samsung can see and play the upnp offering BUT the bit rate on original is 3500kB/s on the new file is 450kB/s. It looks terrible.
running mythtranscode with —width and/or —height again makes unplayable files.

Short of shuffling around a memstick (which plays the original ts in high quality) anybody … please …

James