[mythtv-users] Livetv stutter

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Tue Nov 21 20:36:04 UTC 2017

 ---- On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 03:44:14 +0100 Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote ----

 > On 10/18/2017 10:38 PM, David Birch wrote:
 > > Ok, so mucking with the secs_min value in ringbuffer.cpp does have
 > > some of the desired effect. I found a setting around 1.4 is a bare
 > > minimum to fill about 1% of the buffer and play all the hd channels i
 > > have without issue, FWIW most seem to be saying they're between
 > > 3-8mbps. The side effect is noticable lag to start, and a much more
 > > noticable lag during channel change. If i push the value up above 2s
 > > then channel change seems to break - video never actaully displays but
 > > audio plays after a few secs. This test was on the i5 nuc i have, will
 > > test celeron based one soon.
 > >
 > > Thanks
 > >

 > If you can post a patch on the ticket it will be helpful. I can test it,
 > validate it and commit it if it looks good, or use it as a help in
 > finding the correct solution. Also please feel free to post comments,
 > suggestions and further details in the ticket.
 >
 > https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12318
 >
 > Peter

currently unable to login to mythtv TRAC (seems to server side 'login' page issues) be a so figure i'll ask here.
i've just seen the trac update (didn't get an email, even though i'm CC'd in) asking for someone to check it on an affected system. I'm willing to do it but i'm not 100% sure on how to apply it.

patch is at: https://code.mythtv.org/trac/attachment/ticket/12318/20171108_%2312318_stutter.patch

what do i need todo to get this applied? It'll be the first time i'm applying a .patch file.
i currently run repo fixes/29, so i guess i first need to move an affected FE over to git master branch?
once pulled and before the usual 'configure,make, make install' process,  i then follow the 'Applying the simple patch we created' at https://linuxacademy.com/blog/linux/introduction-using-diff-and-patch/ to apply it locally
then the usual compile run & check?

could take a few days/at the weekend for me to get round to testing it.