[mythtv-users] Switching back to mythic frontend from Kodi

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Nov 12 00:56:53 UTC 2017

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 20:06:58 +0000, you wrote:

>On Nov 11, 2017, at 1:46 PM, Mike Bibbings <mike.bibbings at gmail.com<mailto:mike.bibbings at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>On 11/11/17 18:05, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>I’ve been using a separate mythtv backend and frontend for years.  The frontend was mostly Kodi built on top of mythbuntu 16.04. I thought it would be nice to have a frontend with a lot of integration of streaming and OTA TV.  Turns out Kodi totally changes their interface every year or so and it gets worse every time. Also the useful plugins break a lot and can’t deal very well with DRM content.  For that I was always using a browser with DRM turned on.
>
>So if I have to do all that, I may as well use the more stable Mythtv frontend for the OTA DVR stuff and Firefox/Chrome for the DRM stuff like WatchESPN and Amazon Video.
>
>Now to my question. One feature I liked about Kodi was how I could use quick presses of the remote right and left arrows to skip 30 sec/1 min/3 min/10 min.  Is there a way to setup the Mythtv Frontend to have different types of skips?  From what I can tell with Mythtv, right arow is 30 sec skip forward and left is back 10 sec.
>
>Any pointer to more details on setting this up would be appreciated.
>
>Jim A

>You can change Skip ahead/back values for the arrow keys in Setup>Video>Playback Groups>Default Group  on mythfrontend.
>
>Mike
>
>Thanks, that’s what I was looking for.  I have up arrow and down arrow for 10 minutes forward and backward.  I now have 60sec forward skip and 10 sec backward rewind.  I think that will work for me.

What I have is 30 seconds forwards and backwards skip, but also the
special option set that makes the backwards skip drop to 10 seconds
when I have been skipping forwards and then change to skipping
backwards without going to play or pause in between.  That makes it
really easy to move the playback point to just before the end of an ad
break, by doing 30 s skips forwards until I see program again, then 10
s skips backwards (maximum 4 needed) until I see ads again.  And if I
miss stopping at the correct location and go too far back, then if I
skip forwards again it will skip 10 s forwards instead of 30 s.

Unfortunately, at the moment I can not find where that special option
is set - I set it many years ago and have copied my database to my
test PC and laptop when I created their MythTV setups, so they just
inherited the setting.  I would love to be able to work out where it
is again.  And what its name in the settings table is.

However, as your system seems to be doing 30 s forwards and 10 s back,
it may well be that that option is on by default in new databases.  To
find out, try playing and then doing a left arrow backwards skip
without going forwards first.  It should skip 30 s back if that option
is on.

My remote has PgUp and PgDn keys, and I have these set the same 10
minutes skip as the up and down arrow keys, but there is no reason
that they could not have a different skip value.