[mythtv-users] BE 2 - Remote Frontends Sluggish on FF

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Nov 12 00:38:41 UTC 2017

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 09:32:33 +1100, you wrote:

>Should probably just be delete from, not delete * from. Also, check that
>your copy and paste hasn't introduced "smart quotes". They need to be the
>simple "tick" quote that you get from the keyboard, not some fancy-looking
>alternative. Some programs (MS Word for one, probably others as well) will
>change these for you so they look better in documents, but play havoc with
>scripts :-)

Yes, Mark and Mike are both right, I think it should be:

  use mythconverg;
  delete from settings where hostname='savaidh';
  source savaidh.sql
  quit

Sorry about that - I was unable to easily test those commands as I did
not want to mess up my database.

There are two different types of commands used by the mysql program.
They are commands to the mysql program itself, and SQL syntax commands
that the mysql program sends on to the mysqld database software to be
executed there and the results sent back.  As best I can tell, they
are distinguished only by the first word on each line.  SQL commands
are terminated by a ; (or also by a \G if you want the output
displayed vertically instead of in a table format).  You can put as
many SQL commands as you like on a line and they can extend over
multiple lines.  The direct mysql program commands (eg source and quit
above) are single line commands and have no terminating character -
they end at the end of the line.  The source command tells the mysql
program to read commands from an external file instead of the command
line.  The quit command tells it to shut down.