[mythtv-users] Switching back to mythic frontend from Kodi

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Sat Nov 11 20:06:58 UTC 2017

On Nov 11, 2017, at 1:46 PM, Mike Bibbings <mike.bibbings at gmail.com<mailto:mike.bibbings at gmail.com>> wrote:

On 11/11/17 18:05, Jim Abernathy wrote:
I’ve been using a separate mythtv backend and frontend for years.  The frontend was mostly Kodi built on top of mythbuntu 16.04. I thought it would be nice to have a frontend with a lot of integration of streaming and OTA TV.  Turns out Kodi totally changes their interface every year or so and it gets worse every time. Also the useful plugins break a lot and can’t deal very well with DRM content.  For that I was always using a browser with DRM turned on.

So if I have to do all that, I may as well use the more stable Mythtv frontend for the OTA DVR stuff and Firefox/Chrome for the DRM stuff like WatchESPN and Amazon Video.

Now to my question. One feature I liked about Kodi was how I could use quick presses of the remote right and left arrows to skip 30 sec/1 min/3 min/10 min.  Is there a way to setup the Mythtv Frontend to have different types of skips?  From what I can tell with Mythtv, right arow is 30 sec skip forward and left is back 10 sec.

Any pointer to more details on setting this up would be appreciated.

Jim A

You can change Skip ahead/back values for the arrow keys in Setup>Video>Playback Groups>Default Group  on mythfrontend.

Mike

Thanks, that’s what I was looking for.  I have up arrow and down arrow for 10 minutes forward and backward.  I now have 60sec forward skip and 10 sec backward rewind.  I think that will work for me.