[mythtv-users] Switching back to mythic frontend from Kodi

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 18:27:27 UTC 2017

On 11 November 2017 at 18:05, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com> wrote:
> I’ve been using a separate mythtv backend and frontend for years.  The frontend was mostly Kodi built on top of mythbuntu 16.04. I thought it would be nice to have a frontend with a lot of integration of streaming and OTA TV.  Turns out Kodi totally changes their interface every year or so and it gets worse every time. Also the useful plugins break a lot and can’t deal very well with DRM content.  For that I was always using a browser with DRM turned on.
>
> So if I have to do all that, I may as well use the more stable Mythtv frontend for the OTA DVR stuff and Firefox/Chrome for the DRM stuff like WatchESPN and Amazon Video.
>
> Now to my question. One feature I liked about Kodi was how I could use quick presses of the remote right and left arrows to skip 30 sec/1 min/3 min/10 min.  Is there a way to setup the Mythtv Frontend to have different types of skips?  From what I can tell with Mythtv, right arow is 30 sec skip forward and left is back 10 sec.
>
> Any pointer to more details on setting this up would be appreciated.

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/keys.txt lists
current key bindings.

You can configure skip fwd/back (small durations typically) and jump
fwd/back (larger durations) to different keys, but not to the same key
within mythfrontend. I think duplicating the Kodi functionality would
require patching mythfrontend's LIRC handling to differentiate between
different numbers of keypresses of a given key during playback.

As mentioned in keys.txt, by default these use right/left and
PgDown/PgUp respectively. Arbitrary jumps can also be made by
specifying a value before pressing a skip key.

Cheers,
Nick