[mythtv-users] What are these connections?

Joey Morris rjmorris.list at zoho.com
Thu Nov 9 12:10:53 UTC 2017

Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote on Thu, Nov 09, 2017 at 02:44:03AM +1300:
> If you are really set on preventing it from connecting to the themes
> server, then the simple way to prevent it is to put a rule in your
> router's firewall to block that connection.  But it is really not
> something to worry about - all it is getting is the list of themes and
> their descriptions.  It does not send any information to the server,
> it just gets the current theme data.  You have to actually select a
> theme in the Theme Chooser menu before it will download a theme.

Although I myself am not particularly worried about the consequences of MythTV
phoning home, I don't think one should be so quick to dismiss the privacy
concerns. You are in fact sending information to the server (your IP address and
access time at a minimum), and I think any such activity should be opt-in.

Couldn't MythTV wait to refresh its theme data until you enter the Theme
Chooser screen and explicitly ask it to refresh?