[mythtv-users] BE 2 - Remote Frontends Sluggish on FF

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 20:34:03 UTC 2017

Hi Roger!

>> As for the Wiki page re: Frontend Video configuration, yes -- if the
>> wrong one will either get an error pop up when trying to watch a
>> show. Thinking because the pausing occurs with all Frontends
>> connecting to BE2 there's a similar configuration on it (the Backend)
>> I have wrong; just not going to randomly try things and really screw
>> it up!
>>
> To me it looks more like a player configuration issue.
> You've already investigated the connectivity.

OK - makes sense.  I more or less figured it 'backwards': the FE's all
have the problem so the common point is the BE, in my case "BE2".

> The playback profiles are still different
> For BE1a:
>
> 2017-11-04 09:44:36.548697 I  VDP: Accepting: cmp(>= 1920 1080)
> dec(ffmpeg) cpus(2) skiploop(enabled) rend(xv-blit) osd(softblend)
> osdfade(enabled) deint(linearblend,linearblend) filt()
> 2017-11-04 09:44:36.548697 I  VDP: Accepting: cmp(> 0 0) dec(ffmpeg)
> cpus(1) skiploop(enabled) rend(xv-blit) osd(softblend) osdfade(enabled)
> deint(yadifdoubleprocessdeint,yadifdeint) filt()
>
> 2017-11-04 09:44:36.548697 I  AFD: Using 2 CPUs for decoding
>
> For BE2:
>
> 2017-11-04 08:19:01.428571 I  VDP: Accepting: cmp(>= 1280 720)
> dec(ffmpeg) cpus(1) skiploop(enabled) rend(xv-blit) osd(softblend)
> osdfade(disabled) deint(linearblend,linearblend) filt()
> 2017-11-04 08:19:01.428571 I  VDP: Accepting: cmp(> 0 0) dec(ffmpeg)
> cpus(1) skiploop(enabled) rend(xv-blit) osd(softblend) osdfade(enabled)
> deint(greedyhdoubleprocessdeint,kerneldeint) filt()
>
> 2017-11-04 08:19:01.428571 I  AFD: Using 1 CPUs for decoding
>
> Will an extra CPU make a difference ? ("Max CPUs" setting)
> It's in the right area (video decoding)
>
> According to the (old) Wiki it defaults to 1. Maybe you increased it
> when setting up BE1.

Quite possibly: pretty much used the "Gedakc Guide":

http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-install-mythbuntu1404

Downloaded it some time ago and made notations to somewhat update to
16.04 and things to do/not do here.  (So a big 'thank you!' to Curtis'
work!)

Now the problem is I can't find where the configuration  for two CPU's
(both/all cores) is.  His Section X: Configure MythTV Backend > General
 > |Max simultaneous jobs on this backend: 2|  is set for two.  But
that's jobs and not cores.  (More or less talking to myself to try to
sort things out.)  Find "core" - nope.  Find "cpu" - nope.  "Processor"
- nope.

...OK. I'm going to give up and ask where that setting is. (Help!!)
Will that also do something about that "greedyhdoubleprosessdeint"
thing?  Someone mentioned it before as a lead.  No idea what it is
(something to do with video de-interlacing?  Sort of get some of the
funny names assigned by the programmers. :)  ).

>> (So also realizing my comment the other day about a script or
>> something to more easily swap between the two Backends is more
>> complicated that just copying in the two config.xml files.)
> Presumably you'll planning to copy your BE1 database to BE2 at
> some point ("switchover time").
> Provided you're not planning to change any hostnames, then that will
> also synchronize the configuration of all your frontends.
> I'm guessing atm BE2 is just using defaults and thus you're comparing
> apples & pears. Or rediscovering all the little tweaks you'd forgotten
> about.
>
> Any reason you can't take a snapshot of the BE1 database now ? You can
> always dump it later when you switchover for real.

Actually I'm going to take the lazy way out and just retire the old
Backend (BE1).  Years ago tried to copy the database from the
then-active machine to the machine I was creating and, well, we'll just
say it wasn't pretty.  I ended up starting from scratch on the
replacement system.  LIS this was years ago.

So thanks for the lead on the configuring to use both cores, just need
to know where that setting is hidden.