[mythtv-users] [US] Switching from built-in schedules direct to the XMLTV-JSON schedules direct?

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Thu May 18 14:21:10 UTC 2017

On 05/17/2017 10:54 PM, Jason Zarin wrote:

> I use mythtv's (0.28.1) built-in schedules direct support (USA).
> Everything works just fine.
>
> Should I switch to the XMLTV grabber to use the JSON feed? Are there
> any advantages to the JSON feed other than having 20 days vs. 14 days
> of data?
>
> What is the best process to switch grabbers without breaking things?
>
> Or should I just leave everything well enough alone and not tempt fate?
>

> Thanks!

I switched several months ago with good results. Advantages I see are
20 days of listings
Season and episode included with each program
Channel icons automatically downloaded included if you update your
channel list from the downloaded schedule.

Disadvantage is it uses a lot of memory, so I created a script to run
three days at a time instead of all at once. With version 29 there is a
"noallatonce" feature to address this.

For switching over, I first set up the channels in xmltv
(tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite), then deleted all my channels from mythtv and
re-added them from the xmltv download.

Be careful if you decide not to delete all your channels, use
--only-update-guide, otherwise you could get them all added again and
land up with channels duplicated.

If you delete all channels and re-add them, it may allocate different
chanids to channels. If this happens MythTV could show the wrong
"recorded from" channel for recordings. By default when loading it names
chanid as SXXX where S is the source and XXX is the channel number.
Sometimes this scheme goes wrong and different ids are assigned. If the
existing ids match that scheme then reloading will use the same scheme.

Peter