[mythtv-users] UK DVB radio and pi frontend

Stefan Davids mythtv at stefan.davids.uk.net
Tue May 16 15:17:31 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 16, 2017 3:45 pm, Peter Bennett wrote:

> I do not receive any DVB radio here so I am no familiar with it.
>
> I tried your sample, on a raspberry pi 3 and i can hear the audio. I
> played it via "videos" by putting it in the videos directory, which
> should work the same. I press "I" and i get the info screen which shows
> the number of minutes playing.  In the playback menu I can select
> "M,playback, playback data" and see the statistics. There does seem to
> be a high CPU utilization. Is that the issue?. It shows video as
> 0x0 at 29.97fps, which is a bit strange. I can jump forward and back in the
> program without a problem. Skipping to the start of the program - I just
> type 6 and press left arrow (i.e. go back 6 minutes). That works
> instantly. How do you do it?

Thanks for looking at this.

My symptoms specifically are that the skip forward 30s (or back) is pretty
unresponsive (it will do it but delayed and frequently the actual OSD bar
which shows how far through the recording it is will not appear).  If I
pause halfway through the recording and save a bookmark the bookmark is
not where I paused but at some earlier point.  The audio actually plays
fine though.

The static pictures which appear with UK radio seem to come and go while
playing (ie sometimes the screen is black sometimes the usual station
logo picture is displayed) and the Rpi starts getting hot with the
internal sensor in the low 80s C and the little overheating icon appears.

Normally even HD playback is flawless and the Rpi barely breaks a sweat
in CPU utilization or reported temperature.

I'd guess this in the log is the source of my problems(?)

May 16 08:06:43 pi-3 mythfrontend: mythfrontend[1197]: E CoreContext videoout_xv.cpp:846
(InitSetupBuffers) VideoOutputXv: Desired video renderer 'openmax' not
available.#012#011#011#011codec 'None' makes 'xv-blit,xshm,xlib,' available, using
'xv-blit' instead.
May 16 08:06:43 pi-3 mythfrontend: mythfrontend[1197]: E CoreContext videoout_xv.cpp:612
(InitXVideo) VideoOutputXv: Could not find suitable XVideo surface.
May 16 08:06:43 pi-3 mythfrontend: mythfrontend[1197]: E CoreContext videoout_xv.cpp:738
(InitXlib) VideoOutputXv: Falling back to X11 video output over a network
socket.#012#011#011#011      *** May be very slow ***

as there's no similar errors when I play with a VDPAU frontend
for example.

> I am not sure what else to expect. Do I have to enable interactive TV or
> something to see more? What OSD is slow? I do not see any OSD unless I
> request one from the menu, and it is not slow.
>
> Please explain what the actual issue is.

It's quite possible you can only reproduce this with interactive TV
turned on (I didn't realise this option affected the pictures with radio
so I'll try turning it off if it's on next chance for testing I get;
I don't think I've changed it from the default position with a new
installation).

Stefan