[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime failure

David Hampton mythtv at dhampton.net
Wed May 3 17:41:51 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-05-03 at 15:17 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 2:57 PM, Mike Perkins
> <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> > Perhaps it might also be worth investing in a surge arrestor to
> > prevent
> > similar occurrences in the future?
>
> Most surge arrestors will not make
> any difference for a power outage (which
> was the OPs statement).  Now, a full
> fledged on-line UPS with diesel backup
> and committed fuel contracts might have
> delayed the inevitable, but that is a bit
> overkill to protect a 6CC.

So the full story is that the GFCI on the half-rack in my basement
tripped around 2am, and the UPS picked up the load until the battery
ran out. I discovered the problem around 8am, reset the GFCI, powered
on the UPS and watched it boot until it enabled its load, at which
point the GFCI tripped again. (Silly me, I did this a second time.)  I
finally unplugged half of the items from the UPS, powered it on, and
was eventually able to bring up the entire half-rack minus the 6CC.
That means that the 6CC saw a number of abrupt power failures and
restores.

David

P.S. I've already called my electrician about the GFCI and circuit.