[mythtv-users] notify but don't record

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Mar 24 09:42:48 UTC 2017

On 24/03/17 03:09, Mark Wedel wrote:
> On 03/23/17 03:56 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>> MySQL can't give you any information on upcoming recordings--that's not in the
>> database.  Regardless, asking the backend for the information rather than trying
>> to interpret raw data yourself is always the best bet.  This is relatively easy
>> through the bindings. An example (which may be exactly what you need) is:
>>
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth_upcoming_recordings.pl
>>
>> Something like:
>>
>> myth_upcoming_recordings.pl --plain_text --recordings -1 --hours=72
>
>  Thanks - that will get me started.  I'll have to see what it will take to exclude the OTA shows
> from that list (which I want recorded, and I know mythtv will properly do).
>
>  Is there a utility which will set those programs I want to be skipped without having to go into the
> frontend?  If I have to go into the front end anyways to skip them, this isn't saving me that much
> effort.

Some confusion here. I used to use the method suggested to find out when certain cable shows were
on, even though I couldn't record them. Simply schedule them as usual and then mark the rule as
'inactive'.

Whenever you look at upcoming recordings, they will show the inactive ones (assuming you have
selected that option in mythweb, for example), but they will never be recorded, which is what you want.

You shouldn't have to 'skip' anything, since they wouldn't be recorded anyway.

The only thing you'll need to do is to ensure that you identify the channel or source so that your
OTA recordings won't be trapped by that rule. This is easy enough to arrange in the recording rule.

--

Mike Perkins