[mythtv-users] UK Freeview scanning broken?

Justin Hornsby justin0hornsby at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 08:59:36 UTC 2017

Which transmitter?

Pontop Pike.

I'll explain what I did in full then:

First of all I did what I usually do which is a full scan of existing
transports. This found as many channels as I'd expect - it seemed very
happy & I went to exit out of mythtv-setup which then said TV on my tuners
was set to start on channel 1, which doesn't exist - was I sure I wanted to
quit?

Hmm normally I might use the 'no, I know what I'm doing' option but channel
1 not existing rang alarm bells so I went into the channel editor again.
None of the LCNs seemed to be correct.  Uh-oh.

So, I then did a full scan (tuned) to the frequency of the BBC mux.  This
time it only pulled in BBC channels and yet again the LCNs were all
massively wrong.

It was then I thought ah what the heck & deleted all the channels & then
did a tuned scan - this time having selected the 'use other transports'
tickbox.  Same result - all the LCNs massively messed up.

By this point I was feeling frustrated so thought right!  I'll delete all
the channels & all the transports & do a full scan.  I had nothing to
lose.  And yet again, it pulled in all the channels I'd expect to see but
the channel numbers were wildly wrong.

I rescanned my TV at the same time - it found changes & updated itself
pretty quickly.  All its channel numbers are fine.  Oh dear oh dear.

So it looks very much like mythtv's scanner isn't working quite right, or
else the transmitter is putting out something that mythtv doesn't know
about but my 2 year old TV is fine with.

The 'scan' util always works fine & is very quick... I even did a w_scan
(ugh) & it also worked - and appeared to squirt out meaningful LCNs in its
console output.  I'm not sure it does but that's how it looked at 2am this
morning.

Reinstating the backup of the channel & dtv_multiplex tables from a backup
has produced working channels again but I had to manually update the
mplexid of tinypop for it to work - and thankfully it does really work.

I hate having to rescan just because Freeview have shuffled channels around
& I know this causes mythtv a headache so it does its best to interpret how
to wiggle the changes in without deleting all channels & starting again -
but this LCN business is just strange.

It's been a long time since I used dvb tools but I'm more than willing to
provide a dump of a tuned mux to help find out what's going wrong.

Justin