[mythtv-users] notify but don't record

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Mar 24 03:09:57 UTC 2017

On 03/23/17 03:56 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/23/2017 12:27 AM, Mark Wedel wrote:
>>
>>  I'm sure this is probably fairly easy with the right mysql voodoo, but for me
>> to dig into the right tables, etc, and figure this would be time consuming,
>> and someone might know (or at least point me) mostly in the right direction.
>>
>> Background:  I have OTA and slingtv.  I had actually hacked something to
>> record slingtv via mythtv (hdmi -> component -> hdpvr, + scripts to change the
>> roku). This worked pretty good. But slingtv has added their DVR feature now,
>> so might as well use that.
>>
>>  However, the DVR feature is not nearly as capable as mythtv, and more
>> annoying, sometimes recordings I've set up disappear.
>
> You mean because you've reached the 50-hrs of recordings limit, then it expires
> the oldest recording to make room for another?

  No, I have 2 issues, which I've reported to sling, but not heard anything back:
1) For some channels/networks, it won't let me record more than one program (eg,
the series) - NBCSN seems to be the case.  So for formula 1 races, I have to
select each event and say record - it doesn't present me with the option to
record all the events of that name.  It does allow me to do that on some
stations, but....

2) Sometimes it seems to forget about those.  I had set up BBCA to record all
the top gears.  It recorded the first couple just fine, and then stopped doing
so. I look at my upcoming recording on my roku, and it doesn't show anything for
the episodes coming up.

  So at this point, the slingtv PVR function needs some babysitting to make sure
it records what I want it to record.

>>  What I'm doing right now is setting up those recordings in mythtv, and
>> periodically looking at the upcoming recordings, making sure that the slingtv
>> is set to record them, and then manually tell mythtv to skip that recording.
>>
>>  What I would like to do is query the SQL database for the recordings coming
>> up soon (next 3 days), and mark those as skipped for the slingtv.  I'd run
>> this out of a cron job and have it send me e-mail - then I just double check
>> that slingtv is doing what I want to do.
>>
>>  So if someone can point me in the right direction on this, I'd appreciate it.
>
> MySQL can't give you any information on upcoming recordings--that's not in the
> database.  Regardless, asking the backend for the information rather than trying
> to interpret raw data yourself is always the best bet.  This is relatively easy
> through the bindings. An example (which may be exactly what you need) is:
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth_upcoming_recordings.pl
>
> Something like:
>
> myth_upcoming_recordings.pl --plain_text --recordings -1 --hours=72

  Thanks - that will get me started.  I'll have to see what it will take to
exclude the OTA shows from that list (which I want recorded, and I know mythtv
will properly do).

  Is there a utility which will set those programs I want to be skipped without
having to go into the frontend?  If I have to go into the front end anyways to
skip them, this isn't saving me that much effort.