[mythtv-users] OT: The opposite of LIRC

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sun Mar 19 17:40:00 UTC 2017

> On Mar 19, 2017, at 1:32 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mar 18, 2017 3:52 PM, "Peter Bennett" <cats22 at comcast.net <mailto:cats22 at comcast.net>> wrote:
> On 03/18/2017 03:12 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
> Thanks for indulging my question for a minute. I have to frequently provide phone support to an older relative who sometimes gets confused and anxious when dealing with their cable STB. I suddenly thought it'd be great if I could control a Pi with an IR transmitter and be able to send discrete power codes, etc. So I could say over the phone "I'm putting channel 61 on for you."
>
> What sort of Linux library sends IR signals? I know LIRC receives, but what's the opposite?
>
> Some nights when I get the calls I would just love to go to a web page and pgm in channel 61 at 7pm, channel 8 @8pm.
>
> I think you mean "control an IR transmitter with a Pi". I used an Iguana IR for that before, and it works well (http://www.iguanaworks.net <http://www.iguanaworks.net/>)
>
> The Iguana stuff looks good. Because of the way their room is configured I'd be best off having a transmitter in front of each device.  Just thinking out loud here.

The IguanaWorks IR emitter is a tiny LED on the end of thin cable (connected by 3.5mm ‘phono’ plug).  You use double-side tape to position it in front of the controlled device’s IR receiver.  See:

http://www.iguanaworks.net/products/usb-accessories/ir-emitters/

I haven’t actually used the emitter yet.

Craig