[mythtv-users] OT: The opposite of LIRC

Ben Healy melben1001 at yahoo.com.au
Sat Mar 18 22:49:46 UTC 2017

From: Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com>
To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Sunday, 19 March 2017, 6:12
Subject: [mythtv-users] OT: The opposite of LIRC

Thanks for indulging my question for a minute. I have to frequently provide phone support to an older relative who sometimes gets confused and anxious when dealing with their cable STB. I suddenly thought it'd be great if I could control a Pi with an IR transmitter and be able to send discrete power codes, etc. So I could say over the phone "I'm putting channel 61 on for you."

What sort of Linux library sends IR signals? I know LIRC receives, but what's the opposite?

Some nights when I get the calls I would just love to go to a web page and pgm in channel 61 at 7pm, channel 8 @8pm.

Hi Ian
I have used this guide:http://alexba.in/blog/2013/01/06/setting-up-lirc-on-the-raspberrypi/
I did it more for an experiment than anything, but it did work and I was able to send IR commands from the Pi via a web app to control devices via IR.
But if you don't already have a Pi or don't have the time, I would recommend a Harmony Smart Control/Home Control or just a Harmony Hub.
The Harmony hubs can be controlled over the net via iOS or Android and the setup for a simple system is quite easy. As they don't require line of sight from the Remote to the Hub they are good for older people, but the buttons on the Smart Control/Home Control are a bit small.
If you don't think they could adapt the a Universal Remote with activities, you could just get the Hub and just use it for sending individual device commands.
The setup has to be done on the same network as the hub I think, but can be controlled over the net.

Ben