[mythtv-users] Recommendations for Myth Frontend on Raspberry Pi?

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 04:59:50 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 1:12 PM, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 03/13/2017 01:04 AM, Tom Harris wrote:
>

> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 12:46 PM, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On 9 Mar 2017 16:23, "Tom Harris" <thom.j.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There are a bunch of threads, files, etc. for getting mythfrontend
>> running on a Raspberry Pi.  But, some of them appear no longer
>> maintained/updated.
>> So, I'm wondering what's the current recommendation for a Pi frontend
>> deployment.
>>

>> This page says it's up to date for 0.28
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
>>

> I had some time to set up a new Pi3 frontend this weekend.  I basically
> replicated the same experience from when I tried a little more than a year
> ago.  1080i was still not usable for me.   It seems like others have this
> working.. what am I missing?
>
> My experience was:
>
> 1. Spent a lot of time debugging.  This is a recurring theme in my long
> experience with MythTV.  I got random frontend hangs, which I thought were
> related to video decoding.  But, after much debugging got it down to the
> "query_cache" settings in MySQL.  Once I disabled that the frontend became
> reliable.
>
> 2. US Broadcast MPEG2 @ 720P works great.
>
> 3. US Broadcast MPEG2 @1080i does not work well.   I get video playback,
> but with frequent audio hiccups and some video hiccups.  The default
> de-interlacer setting of 'Advanced (HW)' was quite bad.  When I changed it
> to "Fast (hw)' it worked much better -- but still had audio/video hiccups.
>
> MythTV version: 0.28 (up-to-date frontend and backend)
> Video Settings: OpenMax normal,  Decoder: Openmax, renderer: openmax, OSD
> Renderer: OpenGL; Primary deinterlacer: Fast(HW)
> MPEG2 license enabled: verified by command line and CPU load during
> playback
> Output: HDMI @ 1080P on 4K TV
>
> Any tips on reliable 1080i MPEG2 playback?
>

> Did you look at the "System Performance" section in the Raspberry Pi Page?
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
> If you still have a problem, try running with -v playback. See if there
> are any audio sync errors or other messages displayed.

Thanks!  I re-read that and spent some more time getting the Alsa:Default
working.   I had gotten static with that before and switched to
OpenMax:hdmi.   I switched to Stereo and made sure all the DD/DTS/etc.
options were disabled and Alsa:Default now  works and 1080i MPEG2 playback
is smooth.

With the Pi3, the UI is quite responsive.  I'll definitely be giving this a
try to replace LibreElec/Kodi that I've been using for the last year.