[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.27 and php 7: input from gentoo users requested

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Thu Mar 9 20:47:21 UTC 2017

On Thu, 9 Mar 2017, Karl Newman wrote:

>> Look at the top of the output for `emerge --depclean --ask`:
>>
>> `emerge --noreplace <atom>` or `emerge --noreplace dev-lang\php-5.6.30`
>>

> I think the version needs to be prefixed with an equals sign (and probably
> also use a forward slash, because I think the back slash will try to escape
> the following p), as such:
> `emerge --noreplace =dev-lang/php-5.6.30`

Thanks for the additional input, Hika and Karl. I had seen that and did
look a bit into the --noreplace switch as a possible resolution but had
decided using that would probably not be advisable. The reason being that,
as I had understood, using that switch would cause a particular version of
php to be added to the world set. This being a dedicated MythTV box, it is
necessary to have php in the world set. But theoretically, the machine
could last long enough for php 5.6.30 to become deprecated; given that
possibility, would it not be inadvisable to have a particular version of
php stipulated in the world set? It might sound a bit unreasonable, but I
would hope this machine might even still be in service til php 7 is
deprecated in favor of whatever new version might succeed it. So, again,
as I'm understanding it, having php in the world set, without stipulation
of a particular version, would seem to me what is called for. But I am
obviously no sort of gentoo aficionado and am likely misunderstanding some
fundamentals of administering a machine running this distro which, after
all, is fairly new to me and is really still barely within my competence.

Apologies to the list for these somewhat off-topic posts.