[mythtv-users] How to get sound out via HDMI

Ashu Desai ashu.desai at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 23:43:53 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 5:21 PM, Anthony Giggins <seven at seven.dorksville.net>
wrote:

> On 9 March 2017 at 09:13, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>  >> So I checked and there is partial success. The audio now does come
>>>  >> out via HDMI. However, the 5.1 doesn't work.
>>> >

>>>  >> It somehow thinks only 3 speakers are attached. And so F-L plays on
>>>  >> F-L speaker. Center plays on F-L speaker. F-R plays on F-R speaker.
>>>  >> Rear-L plays on F-L speaker and Rear-R plays on F-R speaker.
>>> >

>>>  >> Pls help...!
>>> >

>> *This seems to say the same thing I seem to be having - can someone help
>> me with this to see if it's the same problem? I can take instructions but
>> not knowing the OS or syntax, am a bit rusty with troubleshooting on  my
>> own.
>>
>> https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/472386
>>

>> Thanks!
>>

> This is probably the relavant post
>
> https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/472551#472551
>
> add them into your /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc

I don't seem to have ~/.asoundrc

asound.conf has only the following:

---------------------------------------
@hooks [
        {
                func load
                files [
                        "/etc/alsa/pulse-default.conf"
                ]
                errors false
        }
  ]

I am thinking I have to add the context after this? What is weird is that
there's no file at /etc/alsa/pulse-default.conf - only alsactl.conf

> they mention they had to tweak the content based on
> speaker-test -Dhdmi -c 8

This may be because the person on the link wanted to set up a 7.1 whereas I
am trying to get a 5.1 set up

http://about.me/adesai