[mythtv-users] Low Power System

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Mar 6 08:04:25 UTC 2017

Kirk <mythtv at fitzy.net> wrote:

> I assume NUC's would typically use a power brick which should be more efficient than standard ATX power supply.

Why ? An appropriately sized ATX supply should be similarly efficient. I think a lot of the inefficiencies are due to people grossly oversizing the supply - either deliberately or through necessity*

> I may also be able to run it straight from our battery bank instead of using an inverter.

There are DC input ATX supplies - made primarily for the "Car PC" market. As you say, with one of these you could run directly off your DC rails.

* The PSU went in one of my HP Microservers. After a look around at what people had posted about fitting, I ended up ordering an 150W supply, only to be told that it was no longer available & out of stock. So I ended up with a 180W supply - for a system that last time I measured it, drew around 50 to 60W. If I;d been able to find a 75 to 100W supply (both quickly and with confidence that it would fit) I'd have gone with that.