[mythtv-users] NFS using Kodi frontend issues?

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 13:41:09 UTC 2017

On Mar 3, 2017 7:30 AM, "Another Sillyname" <anothersname at googlemail.com>
wrote:

Brian

Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful approach to my problem.

I had read elsewhere about the insecure issue requiring ports to be
under 1024 and had already tried that, so my problem still exists.

I'm not sure if you saw my follow up earlier in the thread where I had
asked if any users had managed to connect from an Android device?  As
I'm looking to connect from a range of devices I'd really rather try
to get the Kodi client working the way it is supposed to be rather
then hacking a different workaround solution.  Asking on this user
list is the most likely place to find people using Kodi with a
mythbackend in a working environment, thus the questions?  I'm truly
sorry if you find it inappropriate, however I think honestly you're
wrong.

Have a good weekend.

On 3 March 2017 at 11:58, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> This really is quite off-topic here.  It has absolutely nothing even
> remotely to do with MythTV and I really shouldn't even entertain it so
> as to not encourage others to bring their general Linux questions here
> but rather find a more appropriate forum.
>
> That said... let's see if we can stem off the containing expansion of
> and thread.
>
> On Thu, 2017-03-02 at 23:44 +0000, Another Sillyname wrote:
>> Is anyone on the list using Kodi as a frontend?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Kodis inbuilt NFS connections have an
>> funky
>> problems
>
> There's yer problem.  Probably.
>
> Since Kodi is (usually) an unprivileged process it cannot bind to ports
> lower than IPPORT_RESERVED (1024) if you don't give it NET_BIND_SERVICE
> capability.  I doubt you are doing the latter.
>
> In that case, you need to add the "insecure" option to the export
> options on the server.
>
> Or you should look at actually, properly [auto]mounting the share on
> the machine with the kernel's NFS client and then just point Kodi at
> the mounted path.
>
> b.

Have you considered using any of the MythTv apps from the PlayStore as
front ends? Might be more secure.