[mythtv-users] Can't start backend on Debian 9 (Stretch)

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 18:12:18 UTC 2017

> You do not need to have Network Manager running.  On server boxes,
> there are other ways to do the same sort of thing.  I have seen a
> suggestion to use a "pingnetwork.service" which pings an external
> address (eg the main switch or router on the network) and becomes
> active only after it gets a reply.  It does not seem to be a builtin
> service though, so you would have to write the systemd unit file
> yourself to do that.  It would not be too difficult to do, but does
> require a bit of experience with systemd.  I have thought about doing
> it myself, but have not found the time yet.

Even without touching systemd you can encapsulate mythbackend in a
script and add before starting mythbackend something like:

ebegin "Testing if HD homerun responds"
IsAwake=`ping -q -c1 192.168.223.20 | grep received | cut -f4 -d ' '`
while [ "$IsAwake" == "0" ]; do
        ebegin "Waiting for the HD homerun to responds"
        sleep 1
        IsAwake=`ping -q -c1 192.168.223.20 | grep received | cut -f4 -d ' '`
done

(The ebegin is Gentoo runscript syntax for logging)

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop