[mythtv-users] Problem with MythWeb and mythtv-backend being ran from "mythtv" user

Steve Boyer steveboyer85 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 13:32:59 UTC 2017

Good morning,

I'm having an issue that is probably a face-palm moment once the problem
has been found, but wanted to pick the hive-mind.

I am running Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS, installed MythTV with the MythBuntu
Control Center and such. This is my second MythTV system, migrating all of
the recordings/schedules/etc from the original and decomissioning the
first. There was some headaches in doing so, but things seem to work just
fine and dandy if I run it as my personal user ($ mythbackend&). The
problems arise on boot, and the mythbackend process is started with the
mythtv user account. "service mythtv-backend status" indicates that it is
running all hunky-dory, and I'm able to use mythfrontend to tune channels,
but MythWeb (my primary means of scheduling recordings) cannot connect to
the local DB. If I "service mythtv-backend stop" and then as my personal
user $ mythbackend&, MythWeb connects no problem and can record, watch TV
and everything. Rather than put a band-aid and making it run as my user,
I'd like to get it to run as the correct user.

I have added my user to the "mythtv" group, and mythtv user to my user's
group. Both mythtv and my personal account also are in the "www-data"
group.

Any thoughts?

Steve
Huntsville, AL