[mythtv-users] Can't start backend on Debian 9 (Stretch)

Ian Campbell ijc at hellion.org.uk
Thu Jul 27 18:59:22 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-07-27 at 18:44 +0100, Mike Perkins wrote:

> As I said, I don't have that file. I've checked the .deb contents and the .service file isn't in there.
>
> Since I selected "mythtv-backend" to install I'm wondering if the .service files only come with an
> install of everything.

I don't have any service files on my deb-multimedia based system, I
suspect the packages do not include them. I'm using sysvinit myself so
I don't know for sure, but I suspect you are using the LSB compat mode
in systemd, which basically picls up stuff from /etc/init.d and tries
to integrate them as services.

I would expect that even LSB compat based stuff would show up on
systemd based systems in things like "systemctl" and "system status"
output, and with that you should be able to find the name it has given
the compat unit for use with journalctl (I think it's "-u <unit>" to
inspect a particular unit, but I don't have a running systemd system to
check on).

Ian.