[mythtv-users] Show the program guide when starting live TV

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 26 15:06:25 UTC 2017

On 07/26/2017 05:35 AM, evade. wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback everybody!  Unfortunately I didn't write my
> question clearly, so let me try again.
>
> My family are used to opening the "Live TV" menu item and to prevent
> lots of slow channel changes I'd made the Guide display automatically.
> The current show is displayed in a small window in the top right - so
> they can see something going on there.
>
> I use a Mythbunutu theme.
>
> My old system is mythtv 27.6+fixes while my new one is 28.1-3.
> In the old system's Video -> "Program Guide" settings there are a two
> pages options.  The option I'd like to set is the very first option
> available in those screens.
>
> In the new system there's only one page and the option is not
> available at all.  (I've also searched through all the other settings
> screens but it's not there)
>

> Is there any way to do this now?  Can I manipulate the database or is
> this a frontend setting somewhere in a config file?
>
> Thanks again!
> evade.
I sounds like you want to edit the menu. You could, for example, rename
the "Program Guide" menu item to "Watch TV" and remove the existing
"Watch TV" menu item. Then pressing "Watch TV" would bring up the
program guide. Until you get to version 29, you will have to tell your
family that while in the program guide they will have to press Menu and
then select "Watch this channel".

I suggest that rather that modifying the existing menu you make a copy
of it, and then select your copy in the menu theme setup. That way if
you get a new version of MythTV you will not lose your changes.

See https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Menu_theme_development_guide . If you
have questions I will be happy to help.

Peter