[mythtv-users] Show the program guide when starting live TV

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 26 14:12:20 UTC 2017

On 26/07/17 10:35, evade. wrote:

> My family are used to opening the "Live TV" menu item and to prevent
> lots of slow channel changes I'd made the Guide display automatically.
> The current show is displayed in a small window in the top right - so
> they can see something going on there.
>
> I use a Mythbunutu theme.
>
> My old system is mythtv 27.6+fixes while my new one is 28.1-3.
> In the old system's Video -> "Program Guide" settings there are a two
> pages options.  The option I'd like to set is the very first option
> available in those screens.
>
> In the new system there's only one page and the option is not available
> at all.  (I've also searched through all the other settings screens but
> it's not there)
>

> Is there any way to do this now?  Can I manipulate the database or is
> this a frontend setting somewhere in a config file?

The setting was removed
https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11922

Going straight into Live TV has been problematic for years because
there's no guarantee that the last-used channel is still tunable. See
archives for the grief that can cause.

At best, the user ends up on another 'arbitrary' channel; at worst it
takes a long time to give up tuning & fails. leaving a 'broken' system.

Going through the guide side-steps the issue because it can validate the
channel is tunable first. It's probably quicker too.

All themes have a guide:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Using_MythTV#Program_Guide
Until v29 you'll have to use the pop-up menu option.

The menu theme is set by the Appearance settings:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_Frontend#Theme_.2F_Screen_Settings

To reproduce 0.27 behaviour you could modify your menu theme so that
"Live TV" actually invokes the guide by changing
<action>TV_WATCH_LIVE</action
<action>TV_SCHEDULE</action>

See: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Menu_theme_development_guide