[mythtv-users] Frontend Raspberry Pi setup issues

Stefan Davids mythtv at stefan.davids.uk.net
Tue Jul 25 08:45:59 UTC 2017

On 24/07/17 23:45, DryHeat122 . wrote:
> I can't find any settings that throttle the wireless.  Anyway, I got it
> connected to a wired connection, and that *significantly* improved the
> FE startup speed.  Sadly I am still having the choppy playback problem.
> So maybe this h.264 content is just too much for the RPi3 to handle?

Wireless can easily not be fast enough to stream HD.  You can test your
connection speed with iperf on the frontend and the backend.  I think my
rPi3 peaks around 600 kilobytes/s (ie around 5 Megabits/s) when watching
UK HD channels and you will never get as through put what the wifi
claims to have connected at so do check it with iperf.

(Also it makes a massive difference how good the aerial is for wifi.
I've not tried the rPi3 but I couldn't reliably stream music onto a rPi2
unless I used a proper Wifi dongle with an obvious aerial so I'm not
sure how good the built in one will be.)

Should be absolutely fine watching h264 CPU wise.

What deinterlacer are you using?  The main variable I found was that and
if you chose the wrong one it really struggled on HD.  If you're up to
date with mythtv-light you can use the "Advanced" hardware one and it
should be fine.

If it is struggling CPU wise the little overheating icon generally
appears in the top right quite quickly.

If you upload a small example of what it looks to be struggling with
somewhere I'm happy to try it on mine.

Stefan