[mythtv-users] Intel i965 video buffers errors on frontend - live TV

evade. evade at internode.on.net
Fri Jul 21 10:24:13 UTC 2017

On 21/07/17 20:09, evade. wrote:
> On 21/07/17 03:24, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>

>> On 07/20/2017 06:00 AM, evade. wrote:
>>> Regarding quick changes of channel in live TV...
>>>
>>> For reference I personally watch very little TV but my wife loves to
>>> channel surf from time to time and my new media PC has mythtv for her
>>> sake.
>>>
>>> I didn't come here to criticise the software as I'm no developer and
>>> rely on the good deeds of others (I really appreciate it!). In a
>>> different thread (mentioned tangentially in this one) I just asked if
>>> it was normal to advise mythtv users to avoid live TV.
>>>
>>> It's perfectly reasonable for a user of any "DVR" system to expect to
>>> be able to change channels rapidly on live TV. If, generally
>>> speaking, mythtv isn't capable of this could the developers please
>>> convey it to users clearly?
>>> As far as I can see, even technical users who read the website and
>>> wiki won't see advice about this possible limitation.
>>>
>> I am using MythTV as my sole method of watching TV. This saves me some
>> $50 per month in Comcast bills. My wife has had no complaints about
>> MythTV, but she is not one to channel-surf. In my opinion, MythTV is
>> perfectly fine for Live TV.
>>
>> I agree, channel changing is slow, takes a few seconds. Also the first
>> few seconds after a channel change the video may be glitchy. I think
>> one lesson from this is that MythTV is not good for channel surfing,
>> where you want to see a few seconds of each channel. I am sure we
>> could develop something to improve this, however there is likely not
>> enough interest and limited developer time.
>>
>> As far as the wiki is concerned, it is a community effort and if you
>> are willing to update it so as to make it more informative, that will
>> be appreciated. Anybody can sign up for an id and make a contribution.
>> If you have difficulty signing up, please let us know on the developer
>> mailing list mythtv-dev at mythtv.org.
>>
>> Peter
>
> Thanks Peter.
>
> I specifically suggested the developers user expectations first, then
> adding notes the website and the wiki in that order.  My hope is that an
> "ordinary" TV watcher might recognise the limitation up front, rather
> than discover it after they'd invested in a media PC and tuners
> specifically designed for MythTV.  I know free software has no
> warranties and all, but setting expectations up front is a nice thing to
> do.
>
> evade.

On second thought, I guess no change needs to be made.

The blurb on the Website does say mythtv is "in development" (although
so was Gmail for many years, but it was production ready) and that "most
features" of a PVR are supported.

If this isn't an issue for most people the perhaps a note in the right
spot of the wiki is best.  Any suggestions as to where?

evade.