[mythtv-users] Intel i965 video buffers errors on frontend

Ian Campbell ijc at hellion.org.uk
Fri Jul 21 10:17:19 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-07-20 at 03:39 +0000, Mark Perkins wrote:
> I don't think MythTV is any different to a standard PVR in that regard.
> In the ordinary course of events with modern MythTV (say 0.27 or above)
> I don't believe some sort of 10 sec pause is required (assuming
> sufficiently capable hardware, proper network config, file system config
> etc).

I always had the (possibly ill-informed) impression that it was also
quite dependent on the type of tuner you had and the quality of the
driver for it. e.g. I wouldn't be surprised if a network based tuner
took a little longer to talk to and to begin streaming the new channel
than the onboard tuner on some dedicated h/w PVR. Likewise I'm sure
that the quality of PCI and USB tuners and their respective drivers
varies greatly wrt tuning times independently of any issue myth itself
might have. Whereas the h/w and drivers are something that h/w PVR
manufacturers may or may not have optimised (and I expect some are much
better than others). Plus with a PVR they are only supporting one
specific combination of hardware and an integrated driver+application
stack (quirks and all) whereas a myth system can host a wide variety of
different tuner hardware, all with different quirks.

So even if there was someone willing to try and contribute to a
seamless live tv experience, it would very likely need to be a full
stack effort (so drivers as well as myth) targeting a particular subset
of tuners (of course some subset would be generic, but by no means
all). For it to be seamless across a wide range of tuner stacks you'd
need a wide range of people willing to contribute such things...

Annecdata: My parent's Humax (I think?) PVR seemed to me to be fairly
clunky for channel surfing, worse than our merely slightly clunky
MythTV live experience (which is rarely used for live tv though).

(rereading the quoted stuff above I'm not sure now I've picked the
right place in the thread to make this comment, oh well)

Ian.