[mythtv-users] Alternatives to original HDPVR?

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Jul 18 04:58:12 UTC 2017

On 07/17/2017 03:44 PM, DryHeat122 . wrote:
> Great tip!  I ordered one.
>
> Does anyone know if there is any way to tell for sure whether the existing unit
> is dead, vs. some other problem, like with the port?  Mythtv says "failed to
> open."  I've replaced the power supply already because these things eat power
> supplies.

  What I did for mine is that I just have it powered from the computer it is
attached to - sacrifice a hard drive cable (old 4 pin molex style - usually a
few extra splitter types come with the motherboard) and connect that up to the
HDPVR (either by the compatible DC connector the HDPVR, or cut the cable from
one of the dead power supplies).  Remove one of the PCI slot covers and run the
cable out the back of that.

  I've had that setup for years, and the power supply is yet to fail.

  It is also one less plug for the dedicated power supply.  And I figure that
the computer power supply is probably more efficient than those smaller ones
anyways.

  Normal diagnosis here would be to replace the USB cable, plug into a different
port on the computer (preferably 'way' different, so a different USB chip is
driving it).