[mythtv-users] Question about H.265

Anthony Giggins seven at seven.dorksville.net
Tue Jan 31 04:58:43 UTC 2017

On 31 January 2017 at 13:36, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the following myth verisons:
>
> Backend:
>
> mythfrontend --version
> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
> MythTV Version : v0.27-56-g29eab51-dirty
> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.27
> Network Protocol : 77
> Library API : 0.27.20131021-1
> QT Version : 4.8.4
> Options compiled in:
>  linux profile use_hidesyms using_oss using_backend using_bindings_perl
> using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_dvb using_frontend
> using_hdhomerun using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu
> using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libudf using_lirc
> using_mheg using_opengl using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript
> using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2 using_v4l1 using_x11 using_xrandr
> using_xv using_profiletype using_mythlogserver using_bindings_perl
> using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_mythtranscode using_opengl
> using_vaapi using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libudf
>

> Frontend:
>
> mythfrontend --version
> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
> MythTV Version : v0.27-56-g29eab51-dirty
> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.27
> Network Protocol : 77
> Library API : 0.27.20131021-1
> QT Version : 4.8.4
> Options compiled in:
>  linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_backend
> using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_dvb
> using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv
> using_joystick_menu using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3
> using_libxml2 using_libudf using_lirc using_mheg using_qtwebkit
> using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2 using_v4l1 using_x11
> using_xrandr using_xv using_profiletype using_mythlogserver
> using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php
> using_mythtranscode using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg
> using_libxml2 using_libudf
>

> I was thinking of getting the new H.265 feature - what would be the best
> way of doing it?
>
> Can I just update the Frontend? Any particular steps for doing that? Or do
> I have to update both my backend server and my frontend?
>
> Thank you
>

> Ash.

As far as I'm aware you'll need to update both your frontend and backend to
0.28 as per the release notes h.265 support was added here, someone feel
free to correct if I'm wrong...

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.28

Additionally depending on your frontend hardware and playback profiles you
may need a video card that will decode it or switch back to software
decoding...

if using an nvidia card you'll need atleast a Feature Set F card

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo#Table_of_GPUs_containing_a_PureVideo_SIP_block

Cheers,

Anthony