[mythtv-users] Frontend Raspberry Pi setup issues

networks1 at cox.net networks1 at cox.net
Sun Jan 29 21:04:49 UTC 2017

---- Curtis Gedak <gedakc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> > I suppose I should try that one on the RPi machine too.
>
> Yes, it would certainly be worth trying the connectivity steps from the
> RPi to be sure that base communication between the frontend and backend
> works.
>
> The point from Mark about ensuring that the network is up and running
> before starting the frontend is very important too.
>
> If the network is not running, then the frontend will fail to connect to
> the backend and will instead display the connection settings screen.
>
> If you are curious how I did this on Raspbian, you can check out the
> startup script I use in a tutorial I wrote.  See:
>
> Setting Up an Inexpensive Raspberry Pi 2 as a Cheap Frontend to MythTV
> with MythFrontend -- Set MythFrontend to Auto-start on Boot
> http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-rpi-mythtv-frontend#smtaob
>
> This script might not be the most elegant, however, it has been tested
> and works correctly on three different MythTV installations.
>
> Curtis

I verified that I can connect to mysql on the backend via the RPi mysql client and run a query.  I then tried starting the frontend on RPi, and same result::  Goes to DB config screen, and on finish it turns off the monitor.  When I turn it back on, it shows the desktop and turns off the monitor again (a detail not in my earlier posts).  Turn it back on again and I have the desktop.  Strange, no?