[mythtv-users] What display manager (and window manager) to choose

Peter Carlsson maillist.peter at home.se
Tue Jan 24 21:04:28 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 12:33:33PM +0000, Michael Drons wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I would like to know what display manager and window manager people
> are using.
>
> I used to have a line in /etc/inittab but I think that method
> was deprecated in one Debian update a year or more ago.
>
> I then started to use SLiM and recently changed to LightDM.
>
> For my Debian (Jessie/stable) MythTV system I use XFCE4, but I have
> a problem (with both SLiM and LightDM) that it sometimes fails to
> autologin. It feels like a race condition where it attempts to
> autologin before the window manager is fully started.
>
> So I would be happy if people could tell me what combination of
> display manager and window manager you are using.
>
> It must support autologin but doesn't have to be fancy or anything.
>
> Best regards,
> Peter Carlsson

Thanks to all who responded.

Now I have also tried nodm but the result is the same. Sometimes it
fails and sometimes it works.

I would appreciate if someone could look at my settings below and tell
me if something seems wrong.

htpc:~# cat /etc/default/nodm
# nodm configuration

# Set NODM_ENABLED to something different than 'false' to enable nodm
NODM_ENABLED=true

# User to autologin for
NODM_USER=mythtv

# First vt to try when looking for free VTs
NODM_FIRST_VT='7'

# X session
NODM_XSESSION=/etc/X11/Xsession

# Options for the X server
NODM_X_OPTIONS='-nolisten tcp'

# If an X session will run for less than this time in seconds, nodm will wait an
# increasing bit of time before restarting the session.
NODM_MIN_SESSION_TIME=60

htpc:~# cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager
/usr/sbin/nodm

I also have this, but I don't know if it is used by nodm.

htpc:~# cat /home/mythtv/.xsession
#!/bin/sh
exec ck-launch-session /bin/bash -login /etc/X11/Xsession xfce4-session

Best regards,
Peter Carlsson