[mythtv-users] Which Signal Strength/Quality Alternative is best?

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 20:56:49 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 12:57 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
> wrote:

> A couple of quick thoughts:
>
> First, be aware that no consumer device is calibrated,
> so the readings are perhaps "in the ballpark", but not
> accurate.  If you want accurate readings, you need to
> use a (calibrated) meter.
>
> As I recall, the specifications require the devices to
> support roughly -12 to +15 dBmV ("ideal" is 0dBmV),
> and to decode 256QAM at a CNR of at least 33
> (there is no limit, but in practice you do not see
> numbers more than around low 40's except in
> very tight plants).
>
> It is *strongly* recommended in practice to avoid
> being near the edge ranges of any of those numbers
> because real world plants have some variance
> (a few dBmV changes across the year is not unheard
> of).  And since you are using consumer equipment to
> measure, it is even more important to stay well
> within the middle of the ranges.
>
> A high quality amp, and/or a high quality splitter
> (with appropriate cabling and connectors) should
> really not be introducing ~2dB SNR noise. And a
> high quality splitter is usually closer to -3.5dB
> than a 4.7dB loss.  Whether is is an artifact of the
> measurement or the splitter/amp/cables is unknown.
> Something feels wrong there.

Gary,

My EE experience hasn't been near RF in decades, so it's all rusty, but
yeah I agree with all you had to say.  I just don't have anything better
than the data the Ceton provides.  I guess I'll try the splitter for now
and maybe see if one from a Comcast customer service office is any better.

Most welcome would be the suggestion of a suitable amplifier (with or
without a splitter incorporated) to use in place of the dinosaur that came
from Radio Shack a couple of decades ago. Brand? Model? Vendor?

--
Craig.