[mythtv-users] MythTV uPnP and Android

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Wed Jan 18 17:06:21 UTC 2017

On 17/01/17 15:42, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 16/01/17 23:04, Jay Foster wrote:

<snip>

>> FWIW, I have successfully used Kodi on my Samsung android tablet to play
>> MPEG2 TV recordings.
>> Jay
>
> Yes:  You don't say how you did it, but using GinkgoDnla with an
> 'out-of-the-box' Kodi as the video renderer does seem to work and give a
> measure of playback control for MPEG2; but with h264 in both 704x576 and
> 1920x1080 I get only the audio.  The Ginkgo display doesn't distinguish
> between these cases, listing them all as video/mpeg.  But then it
> identifies DVD .iso files as text/plain and offers to open them with a
> choice of browsers...
>
> Perhaps I need some kodi plugins.

Or perhaps not.  It plays h264 encoded Videos that have an .mp4 suffix.
My TV seems happy with that.  Ginkgo labels them as video/mp4.

As noted above, Ginkgo labels Myth h264 .ts recordings as video/mpeg and
Kodi doesn't play them - but the TV and Mythfrontend do;  so it's not
immediately obvious how to satisfy everyone.

... and it's GinkgoDlna  (Digital Living...), not as above.  Funny, I
always thought the *tree* was a gingko.