[mythtv-users] MythTV uPnP and Android

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Jan 17 15:42:35 UTC 2017

On 16/01/17 23:04, Jay Foster wrote:
> On 1/16/2017 2:34 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> I mentioned in another thread that I had been trying to play content
>> from Myth on my underemployed Android 4.2.2 tablet. I started with the
>> thought that it might give me usable audio streaming.  I haven't had
>> much Android experience, and may not want to actually use the tablet
>> for this in real life, but it's looking quite promising, with both
>> 0.28-fixes and 0.29-pre. Here's a brief report.
>>
>> The App info shows as com.ginkgosoft.dnla.ctrl Version 0.9.48 and the
>> main icon is called GinkgoDlna
>>
>> It seems to use a native Android Renderer to play Music content, and a
>> selectable video app to play video content.  I'm using VLC.

That's VLC for Android 2.0.6

>> I do have problems with the video display, as I mentioned in the other
>> thread.
>>
>> I found at first that, during playback, sound worked but the screen
>> was black except when the tablet was rotated.  Then a good video
>> display would appear, rotate through 90 degrees with appropriate
>> change of scale,...and fade away again.
>>
>> Later I found that h264 content displays properly - until it triggers
>> a hardware decoding error, when it falls back to software decoding
>> with the behaviour above. That is what I always see for most of my
>> content, which is mpeg2 encoded.

>> John P

> FWIW, I have successfully used Kodi on my Samsung android tablet to play
> MPEG2 TV recordings.
> Jay

Yes:  You don't say how you did it, but using GinkgoDnla with an
'out-of-the-box' Kodi as the video renderer does seem to work and give a
measure of playback control for MPEG2; but with h264 in both 704x576 and
1920x1080 I get only the audio.  The Ginkgo display doesn't distinguish
between these cases, listing them all as video/mpeg.  But then it
identifies DVD .iso files as text/plain and offers to open them with a
choice of browsers...

Perhaps I need some kodi plugins.

John