[mythtv-users] Intermittent macroblocking on Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH - Cure(s)?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 01:16:04 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 9:01 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:

> In regards to the QoS question, I'm not sure if this applies because the
> Ceton is connected to a port on an unmanaged etherswitch (Trendnet TEG-S80g,
> to be specific) and the MythTV BE is connected to another one on the same
> etherswitch. If I understand correctly, if QoS were even controllable on the
> LAN, I'd have to have a managed etherswitch/router to set it up, or is there
> another hole in my "knowledgebase"?

Essentially right, but "some" unmanaged switches advertise
having limited QoS support (usually advertised for VoIP).  I
have no experience with those unmanaged switches, so have
no recommendation as to whether they do what they say they
do.  But, unfortunately, my recollection was the Ceton's do
not set any QoS/ToS bits in the frames (the HDHRs do(*), but
I do not know if those settings work with the aforementioned
unmanaged switches), so any automatic support is not helpful
with the Cetons.  I remember noticing this lack of default QoS
settings when I was helping someone set up a Ceton a long
long time ago and submitted a support ticket with Ceton to
suggest that they add some defaults (I think I got back a
"Thanks for the suggestion").  I have no idea if they
implemented anything with later firmwares.

(*) At some point there was firmware changelog entry that
suggested that they changed the choice of marking to be
more compliant (look for ToS in the changelog).