[mythtv-users] Intermittent macroblocking on Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH - Cure(s)?

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 19:44:29 UTC 2017

I recently switched from using analog capture cards to using an ethernet
attached Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH to capture shows from Comcast Cable.

I had no picture quality problems with the analog capture cards (Hauppauge
PVR-500s), nor do I have any with the set top box we still use for live TV.

I _am_ having issues with macroblocking/pixelation with shows captured with
the Ceton.  I currently have a 120mm fan underneath it with standoffs on
the bottom of the fan to allow it to draw fresh air and blow it up into the
Ceton.  This has reduced the reported temps in the Ceton to ~27.6C (82F),
but sadly that did not solve the picture quality problem.

I'm currently running Ceton Firmware version 14.10.3.163.  I have a copy of
version 15.1.13.152, but from an afternoon of reading on TheGreenButton.tv
forum, it doesn't look like that addresses this problem.

The Ceton is reporting signal levels in the -1.5 to -0.8 dBmV range and
S/Ns in the 33.6 dB range and I'm getting macroblocking periodically even
when watching a single show on MythTV Live TV (with playback pushed back
5-10 seconds from the captured stream leading edge).

Short of replacing the Ceton with an HDHR PRIME (or two), are there other
things I can try first that I haven't already done or checked as reported
above?

--
Craig.