[mythtv-users] Scaled BluRay video and untouched PGS subtitles wrong size

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Sat Jan 7 20:21:22 UTC 2017

We got a TV series on BluRay for Christmas and I've been using makemkv to rip and handbrake to transcode down to a smaller size by scaling down the width and height in half (from 1920x1080 to 960x540, 1/4 the area). That gives me files that are about 1/20th the size of the files ripped by makemkv. Handbrake is configured to pass through the PGS subtitles (PGS being the BluRay standard for subtitles).

When I play back the result, roughly half of the subtitles are too large and half look OK. I get the same result regardless of the display size (tested on both 1080p and 720p TVs). However, when I use mplayer to playback the same transcoded video, all subtitles are appropriately sized, at least when played on a 1800p TV in both windowed original resolution and full screen modes. I haven't tried mplayer in full screen mode on the 720p TV. But I suspect the result would be the same.

So, I'm thinking it's a bug and I'm wondering if anyone else has reported it and whether I should file a ticket. FWIW, I'm running an up-to-date version of 0.27 from the mythbuntu PPA on mythbuntu 14.04.

TIA,
Helen