[mythtv-users] Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH Cooling Fan?

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 5 21:01:13 UTC 2017

On 01/03/2017 09:02 AM, Craig Huff wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2017 5:23 PM, "Stephen Baker" <stephen at wildwood.baker.org
> <mailto:stephen at wildwood.baker.org>> wrote:
>

>     The TA cable is a special purpose cable with what appears to be an
>     A connector on both ends. There in no telling what magic Ceton put
>     into their cable. My ETH6 shipped without the TA cable. A short
>     email exchange with customer service and they shipped me the
>     missing cable. I was satisfied with the customer service.
>
>     I have been running my ETH6 for a couple years now. There have
>     been no cooling problem. I regularly use 3 channels
>     simultaneously. And, there are times that all 6 are running. I
>     have the unit mounted vertically, which I'm sure helps with
>     convection cooling. I haven't look at the temperature readings in
>     over a year.
>
> 1) Hika makes a good point about maybe using USB power from a PC or
> powered hub.  I'll pursue that option, too.
>
> 2) Steve- I tried just leaving it alone, but I've been seeing
> pixelation/freezing.
>
> It has been reporting temperatures in the 44-48°C range (and maybe a
> bit higher, but not sure). I have had it laying flat, so I'll try
> turning it up on it's side to see if that helps before resorting to a
> fan. If that doesn't make the problem go away, the next step will be
> to try and see if a small "personal" desktop fan aimed at it clears up
> the picture problems. If it does, I'll have to decide how I want to
> provide forced air cooling long term.
>
> As Gary reported, I believe the USB connector is indeed the rarely
> used mini-USB type _A_.  I didn't even know it existed until I found
> that none of my collection of spare USB cables would fit and I started
> looking into other USB connector types after seeing it referred to as
> a USB connector in the "Quick Installation Guide" from the Ceton website.
>
> I'll report back what I find and watch this thread for any more advice
> anyone cares to share. Thank you all!
>
> --
> Craig.

This is the fan I am using

AC Infinity AI-MPF120A Quiet 120mm USB Fan for Receiver DVR Playstation
Xbox Computer Cabinet Cooling
<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G05A2MU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G05A2MU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The fan has been running since July 2015. The one I have came with a USB
power adaptor and has an on/off switch. It seems the new ones have a
multi speed controller and do not come with a power adaptor.

I would not recommend running the fan off the Ceton USB power, rather
get a USB power adaptor for the fan if it does not have one.

Peter