[mythtv-users] Duplicate channels

Paul Raison paul at raison.org.uk
Tue Jan 3 21:53:22 UTC 2017

> On 3 Jan 2017, at 21:07, Jeffrey Ratcliffe <jeffrey.ratcliffe at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Where do the SIDs come from? Do they change? If I use the SIDs in my
> post-scan SQL to organise the channels, am I likely to have to update
> it every time?

SIDs are set by the broadcaster and they do change periodically but not too often.

> Does that mean the duplicate BBC2HD channels must be from multiple
> scans that somehow Myth didn't recognise as duplicate?
>
> chanid  channum name    serviceid
> 8940    102     BBC Two HD      6940
> 57411   102     BBC Two HD      6940

I guess they are from multiple scans, but as to why Myth thought they were different and added it again, I don’t know.

> Why does Myth not complain about non-unique channum entries?

Because non-unique channel numbers are useful. I use them as I have both DVB-T & DVB-S tuners and many channels are common to both platforms. By using the same channel number on both, Myth sees them as the same channel and only shows one entry in the EPG but when it comes to scheduling recordings, Myth can choose which tuner to use based on conflicts etc.

> How does Myth decide which channel to take when there are non-unique
> channum entries?

Personally, don’t know this one, it’s all magic to me.

Regards
Paul