[mythtv-users] Thinking of moving on from MythTV :-( Any suggestions? (for the UK)

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Jan 2 22:58:07 UTC 2017

On 02/01/17 18:48, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> A point about grouped aerials. They are likely to become less useful in the future as multiplexes are moved around.
>
> Yes and no, sort of !
> Up here in Winter Hill land, I see there is talk of us moving from the top end (Gp C/D) down to the bottom (Gp A) - but that's a few year off yet, and still in "will it, won't it" land depending on what happens with selling off spectrum for mobile phones. For now I'm inclined to go with a grouped Yagi and accept that I'll probably have to replace it in a few years. I have a Log36 in the loft at the moment, and even allowing for it being in the loft, it's performance is "disappointing" - can't get a usable signal from Winter Hill, "mostly OK" from Lancaster. At some point I'll get a grouped yagi and see how that compares.

That wasn't quite what I meant!

My preferred transmitter is Hannington which is about 8 miles away over the other side of a hill.
Not really a problem. The channels (multiplexes) I could get were 39*,41,42,44,45 and 47 which, as
you can readily agree, would be accessable using a grouped aerial. In fact, that is why I was
looking for a bandpass filter, since I can also see Oxford (in the low 30's) and Crystal palace (in
the 60's) which I hoped to get rid of.

Now some of the channels have been split off into two new multiplexes.. 32* and 34. There is NO WAY
a grouped aerial can deal with that!

* These are DVB-T2 muxes, 32 contains BBC4 and BBC News among others.

--

Mike Perkins