[mythtv-users] Thinking of moving on from MythTV :-( Any suggestions? (for the UK)

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Mon Jan 2 01:44:56 UTC 2017

> On 2 Jan 2017, at 8:25 am, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> I meant the Live TV from within MythTV.
>> I don't have a real TV to check signals with, but did have TV guys come out and check the signal a couple of years ago. The signal runs through 2 boosters now.
>
> From those last 7 words tell me that you have an aerial problem.
> It would be a good idea to have at least one TV connected up as a TV - it gives you a most basic bit of kit to check your signal with, without all the complication of having various layers of hardware and software which may or may not be giving an issue.
>
> But, you shouldn't have 2 boosters. It's a common misconception that chaining boosters will help - in general it won't, because if you have that weak a signal, your boosters will amplify the noise and you'll end up with plenty of signal but with a crap signal/noise ratio (snr). snr is probably more important than signal strength !

Actually the whole art of RF cables is pure magic.
For example having a tee (whether used, terminated or not) will drop your signal strength by half (3dB). Likewise (not obvious) the above about 2 boosters.
I’ve found that even professional antenna installers need toilet paper to wipe their mouths.
You *need* to have your antenna installed by someone who understands the magic (good luck in finding one)

James