[mythtv-users] Thinking of moving on from MythTV :-( Any suggestions? (for the UK)

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Sun Jan 1 19:16:41 UTC 2017

On 01/01/2017 16:12, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 01/01/17 15:53, Damian wrote:
>> Hi Gang,
>>
>> If this message is considered traitorous, feel free to ignore it.
>>
>> I�ve been using MythTV on Ubuntu for years now. When it works, it�s a
>> thing of beauty. When it�s
>> broken, it�s a royal pain in the arse. Mostly, it�s good.
>>
>> Recently, I�ve had a problem that I�ve not been able to get to the
>> bottom of. It�s really annoying
>> the family, and I just don�t have the time to put into trying to debug
>> it, even if I did know where
>> to start.
>>
>> It�s basically a problem with the TV. Sometimes (rarely) all of the
>> channels are working. Mostly,
>> none of the BBC channels are available. And often (too often), no TV
>> is available at all.
>>
>> We don�t watch much TV and mainly use the system for films, but this
>> is still very annoying. We
>> can�t even reliably record something because the chances are the
>> channel won�t be available when it
>> comes to record time.
>>
>> This has got me thinking about other options.
>>
>> When I started using MythTV, there was nothing like it! Even leading
>> paid solutions couldn�t do
>> everything that Myth could. However, from seeing other people�s
>> systems, I assume there are some
>> pretty good products out there now.
>>
>> Does anyone know of any that they could recommend?
>>
>> Here�s my list of requirements �
>>
>> --Must
>> Watch and pause live TV
>> Record TV
>> Play media (films) from server
>> Show meta data and artwork for server media (films)
>> Play 3D films (side by side and top and bottom)
>> Play catch up TV
>> 1080p output that works with BenQ W1300 projector
>> One time payment (no monthly fee)
>> Play any/all video formats
>> After setting up, it should �just work�.
>>
>> --Definite positives
>> Play DVD's
>>
>> --Would be nice
>> Play Audio CD's without turning on a screen,
>> Allow live TV to be played on other computers around the house
>> (probably not possible)
>> Play music from server
>>
> There is nothing wrong with mythtv. It isn't your problem.

I know that there's nothing wrong with MythTV :-)
The problem is either with my configuration of MythTV, or my hardware.
I just don't feel geek enough to keep on top of it and don't like having
to run to this group for help every time I get stuck.

> If you can't get channels then you have to do basic fault finding. You
> mention that the problem is with "TV". Do you mean that? If your own TV
> can't get the channels, then you cannot expect mythtv to do the
> impossible. Check your aerial and cabling.

I meant the Live TV from within MythTV.
I don't have a real TV to check signals with, but did have TV guys come
out and check the signal a couple of years ago. The signal runs through
2 boosters now.

> If the TV works, then perhaps you meant "Live TV". Not the same thing at
> all. There are known problems with Live TV. If recording is also an
> issue, the tuners are the next step. Tuners /do/ get old and die,
> although some last a longer time than others.

Maybe it's the tuners? I don't know.
Things are usually (not always) fine immediately after I reboot the
server (which has the backend on it).
I have 2 USB tuners plugged into the backend.
Even when things were working well, these would suddenly stop working
after a few weeks. Not with some channels working though, the system
would find nothing until it was all rebooted. Then it would be fine again.
It's worse than that now though.
I also bought 1 HD tuner about 18 months ago, but have never been able
to get it to work. It's no longer plugged in, I gave up on it several
months ago. That was frustrating, but as we don't watch much TV we're
happy with standard definition if HD just isn't playing nicely.

> If the tuners work, then I would suggest a rescan, except that if the
> channels have moved - which they have, recently - your TV wouldn't pick
> them up either, unless you rescanned that, or get your TV from Sky, BT
> or Virgin.

I'll try this again, but have already been through this process since
this problem started. I double check the correct transports for my area,
then rescan.
Things seem fine again (like after a reboot), but then it's a pot luck
gamble as to if the channels will still be available when they are next
needed.
I'm picking up from the Mendip transmitter via an ariel in the loft.

> Remember, with the change to digital many channels got reorganised and
> recently there were further changes to the multiplexes. It would be easy
> to lose a single multiplex - say the BBC one - without affecting
> anything else.

I will check all of this again. Maybe things have changed again in the
last couple of weeks? This problem has been going on for a good few
months now, and the channels are sometimes there.

> That is where you should be devoting your attention instead of dumping
> what you have and ending up with something else that won't work either -
> because it wasn't the equipment at fault in the first place.

Agreed. I'm just not sure how to get to the bottom of it. I don't know
how to use/search log files, or what to look for, or what commands to use.

Thanks fro your comments Mike,
Damian