[mythtv-users] Thinking of moving on from MythTV :-( Any suggestions? (for the UK)

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Sun Jan 1 15:53:42 UTC 2017

Hi Gang,

If this message is considered traitorous, feel free to ignore it.

I’ve been using MythTV on Ubuntu for years now. When it works, it’s a
thing of beauty. When it’s broken, it’s a royal pain in the arse.
Mostly, it’s good.

Recently, I’ve had a problem that I’ve not been able to get to the
bottom of. It’s really annoying the family, and I just don’t have the
time to put into trying to debug it, even if I did know where to start.

It’s basically a problem with the TV. Sometimes (rarely) all of the
channels are working. Mostly, none of the BBC channels are available.
And often (too often), no TV is available at all.

We don’t watch much TV and mainly use the system for films, but this is
still very annoying. We can’t even reliably record something because the
chances are the channel won’t be available when it comes to record time.

This has got me thinking about other options.

When I started using MythTV, there was nothing like it! Even leading
paid solutions couldn’t do everything that Myth could. However, from
seeing other people’s systems, I assume there are some pretty good
products out there now.

Does anyone know of any that they could recommend?

Here’s my list of requirements …

--Must
Watch and pause live TV
Record TV
Play media (films) from server
Show meta data and artwork for server media (films)
Play 3D films (side by side and top and bottom)
Play catch up TV
1080p output that works with BenQ W1300 projector
One time payment (no monthly fee)
Play any/all video formats
After setting up, it should ‘just work’.

--Definite positives
Play DVD's

--Would be nice
Play Audio CD's without turning on a screen,
Allow live TV to be played on other computers around the house (probably
not possible)
Play music from server

Thanks,
Damian