[mythtv-users] frontend fails

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 16:45:55 UTC 2017

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 4:07 PM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> As a matter of interest, who actually created the mythbackend.service file
> in the first place? It doesn't seem to have been done by anyone with much
> knowledge of how mythtv works for most users.

I think a better wording is that systemd has expanded its
capabilities (and assimilation) of services in ways that
not all distributed/packaged service files may have been
updated to address/utilize.  And anyone who choose to
make their own variant (to change where things log, for
example) may not have been properly aware that their
local changes were no longer adequate.

Certainly those with ideas should review the packaging
repo and if the current service file(s) that the project
makes available can be improved, patches should be
offered.  Remember you should test across all variants
of supported OS releases.  And if a packager is not
using the offered service files, you should open a ticket
with that packager.