[mythtv-users] MythTV uPnP and Android

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Thu Feb 23 18:12:23 UTC 2017

On 23/02/17 14:54, Mark Boyum wrote:
>>> Yes:  You don't say how you did it, but using GinkgoDnla with an
>
>     >> 'out-of-the-box' Kodi as the video renderer does seem to work and
>     give a
>     >> measure of playback control for MPEG2; but with h264 in both
>     704x576 and
>     >> 1920x1080 I get only the audio.  The Ginkgo display doesn't
>     distinguish
>     >> between these cases, listing them all as video/mpeg.  But then it
>     >> identifies DVD .iso files as text/plain and offers to open them
>     with a
>     >> choice of browsers...
>     >>
>     >> Perhaps I need some kodi plugins.
>     >
>     >
>     > Or perhaps not.  It plays h264 encoded Videos that have an .mp4
>     suffix.
>     > My TV seems happy with that.  Ginkgo labels them as video/mp4.
>     >
>     > As noted above, Ginkgo labels Myth h264 .ts recordings as
>     video/mpeg and
>     > Kodi doesn't play them - but the TV and Mythfrontend do;  so it's not
>     > immediately obvious how to satisfy everyone.
>     >
>     > ... and it's GinkgoDlna  (Digital Living...), not as above.
>     Funny, I always
>     > thought the *tree* was a gingko.
>     >
>     >

> John,
> With Kodi you could skip the upnp/dlna server and use the MythTV PVR
> plugin to play recorded content.  I'm not in front of my box at the
> moment but think it is under settings / TV.
> -Mark

Thanks for that info.  I haven't been following up my original post,
which was really intended as a 'this seems to work' heads-up rather than
a real solution to a personally-felt need.  To tell the truth, I seem to
be recording more but watching less and less these days.  But uPnP has
always looked to me like a good idea hampered by lack of reliable
information, and by conflicts between probably non-compliant
implementations.  "When she was good she was very very good, but..."

John